Easter Saturday road trip

Good afternoon,

We planned a drive on Easter Saturday to do some reconnaissance on a lunch venue for a future PCV GT3 Register event.

Up early to wash the 4S - 2016

Robin thought Kyneton was a likely destination so we duly drove up the Calder Freeway and started to take a look at what was available. Plenty of options but we had trouble choosing one that would fit our numbers, price point and taste preferences. After walking several kilometres around Kyneton we finally decided on the Albion Hotel which was 100 metres from where we parked the car!

The Albion is an old-style pub with exposed brick and beams, plenty of atmosphere but well maintained. The food is hearty and comforting - think corned beef and mustard sauce for her and crispy pork belly for me. And the serves were huge and moderately priced. Excellent!

Yum, pork belly & sautéed cabbage - 2016

Enjoying some of the local wine - 2016

After the sumptuous meal, our next planned stop was the picturesque town of Daylesford for afternoon tea. Except we made two rookie planning mistakes. Firstly, Daylesford was less than thirty minutes from Kyneton and there was NO room to add any more food in at that point, and secondly, on Easter Saturday it seemed almost all of Victoria's population was descending on the main street of Daylesford. Wow, what a zoo, but great for the town.

So on we went, not quite enjoying the restricted 80 km/h speed limits until we saw a sign that said 'Geelong'. Sounds good we thought 60-odd kilometres and we would be at the recently developed waterfront in Geelong. A pleasant drive through the Brisbane Ranges duly got us there, found a park a moderate stroll away from the restaurant strip and we were mightily impressed. Family friendly, but still modern and trendy the area was very enjoyable. Even more so after Robin chose a creperie as our afternoon snack destination!

Panache Creperie Geelong- 2016

I decided not to risk a crowded and expensive ferry ride across the bay, in favour of a leisurely loop the long way back home. After a nine hour trip we were safely home after a most enjoyable day.

Bye for now, BomberBoy